Low Carb Chicken Recipes
Chicken has to be one of the most versatile meats there is. It can be
roasted, grilled, baked, fried, pot roasted and so on. Chicken also has the advantage of being
a low carb high protein meat. So when it comes to what to eat on a low carb diet, chicken tops the list.
Here I have suggested three fairy quick and delicious low carb chicken recipes that everyone will enjoy,
not just those on a low carb diet.
Firstly, grilled chilli chicken. This is a fairly hot, spicy dish that is best
served on a bed of lettuce with the green onion dressing. The onion, garlic and spices can be chopped together in a
blender to make a quick marinade.
110g red onion chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of salt
Freshly ground black pepper
50ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
225g boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon water
4 spring onions, sliced
Half a head cos lettuce, torn into bite- sized pieces
2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
* Preheat the grill. In a bowl combine the onion, garlic, chilli, cumin, salt and
* Remove any visible fat from the chicken and make several holes in the meat with a
* Place in a bowl and spread over the marinade evenly to coat the chicken. Leave for
15 minutes turning once.
* Cover a baking tray with foil and grill for 5 minutes. Turn and grill the other
side for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the grill and leave to cool.
* Once cool, slice into strips.
* Whisk the lemon juice and mustard together in a small bowl, then whisk in the oil
and water. Add the spring onions.
* Divide the lettuce between two plates and top with tomatoes and the chicken
* Serve with the dressing.
Chicken with Parmesan and Tomato Sauce
For a really quick low carb chicken recipe supper dish, chicken with parmesan and
tomato sauce can be ready in 20 minutes. Try to use a good quality parmesan cheese as it makes all the difference
to this dish.
olive oil spray
225g skinless, boneless chicken breast
Freshly ground salt and pepper
125ml low-sugar, low-fat tomato sauce for pasta
2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
* Place a medium sized non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Spray with olive
* Brown the chicken breasts for 2 minutes on each side. Season each cooked side with
salt and pepper.
* Add the tomato sauce to the pan and simmer for 4 minutes.
* Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese, cover with a lid and set aside for 1
* Divide between 2 plates and serve with a selection of low carb vegetables such as
cauliflower, green beans, mushrooms or spinach.
A favorite low carb chicken recipe is chicken fajitas. Chicken fajitas make a
lovely light meal and can even be taken to work as a cold low carb lunch. Using a mixture of red, yellow and green
peppers make this a very colorful dish.
50ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 teaspoons rapeseed oil, divided
1 teaspoon cumin
pinch ground cayenne
225g boneless, skinless chicken breast, very thinly sliced
4 x 8in wholemeal tortillas
225g red onion
2 each of red, yellow and green peppers, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 medium tomatoes, diced
50g cheddar cheese, grated
25g fresh coriander leaves, chopped
* Preheat the oven to 180c/ 350F
* In a microwavable bowl, mix the lemon juice with 1 teaspoon of the oil, cumin and
cayenne. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
* Place the chicken breasts in the marinade for 20 minutes, making sure all the
chicken is covered.
* Wrap the tortillas tightly in foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and
leave in the foil parcel.
* Heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan until it begins to
* Saute the chicken in the pan for about 1 minute then add the peppers, onion and
garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
* Add the remaining marinade and toss together with the chicken and vegetables for
another minute. The sauce should reduce a little and coat the chicken.
Arrange the diced tomatoes, grated cheese and coriander in small bowls. Spoon the
chicken and vegetables onto a warm serving dish along with the wrapped tortillas. Fill the tortillas and sprinkle
with cheese, tomatoes and coriander. Fold to eat.
These are just three delicious low carb chicken recipes. Many more can be found on
line or in low carb recipe books. As chicken is such a popular low carb diet food you may already have lots of
recipes to follow or adapt to make them low carb. Low Carb